Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A trip to the Fort......Fort Smith that is

This past weekend I made the trek all the way to Ft. Smith which takes about 6 1/2 hours to drive from Amarillo. The drive really isn't too bad since it is straight on I-40 the whole way. But I won't lie, it does get kind of boring being in the car that long. So while in Fort Smith, I had a pretty relaxing weekend with Chris and his family. Friday night we had dinner with his parents. After dinner we rode the ferris wheel that is in downtown Ft. Smith right by the Arkansas river. I had never been on a ferris wheel before and honestly I was a little nervous. Chris thought it was funny that I was a little scared. To make matters worse, whenever we were stopped at the very top he decided he needed to look down at the ground below. Well whenever you lean forward, the whole cart rocks.........not ok! However, I did survive my very first ferris wheel ride. On Saturday, Chris took me for a late breakfast to my very favorite place to eat breakfast - Cracker Barrel. We needed a good hearty breakfast before hitting the trails at Devil's Den National Park. Chris and I hiked the main trail which had a couple of caves that you could explore. I again was a little nervous about these caves, but I sucked it up and went in anyway. We went as far as we could go before having to crawl through tight spaces. I couldn't bring myself to do that. There were also bats hanging on the walls right at eye level. After discovering that I definitely shined my light on the wall before touching anything! Later that night we went to have dinner at a Japanese restaurant that had a hibachi grill. That was also a first for me and was quite fun. All in all a good weekend that went by way to fast as usual!

Isn't it pretty all lit up at night? I think so.

Here we are on the ferris wheel. Aren't we cute?

Our scared faces.....well they were supposed to be scary.



Chris the trail guide

Takin a little breather


Here we are at the entrance to one of the caves, see how creepy it is back there. I mean Chris is soo scared he can't even open his eyes.

I found this walking stick along the trail, I couldn't believe how much it actually looked like a stick!

This little falls was on the trail, what awesome scenery!

Here I am standing along the creek.......or maybe they call it a "crick" in Arkansas.

This falls was not on the trail we hiked but we found it when we were driving around the park. Absolutely beautiful!

0 comments: